As a precaution, if you have ever had a cold sore, you will be required to take an anti-viral medication prescribed by your doctor (i.e. Valtrex). Cold sore outbreaks are frequently triggered by stress or trauma to the lips and skin, which can have an impact on healing and outcomes. If you are a carrier, lip blush will almost certainly cause an outbreak if you do not take an anti-viral medication prior. The medication should be taken for 5 days (2 days prior to the procedure, 3 days’ post-procedure). This rule does not have any exceptions! This rule applies whenever you have a lip tattoo. You will need to contact your GP in order to obtain your prescription strength anti-viral medication. You must inform them of your decision to have a permanent cosmetic tattoo applied to your lips.
PRE-CARE LIP BLUSH
- If you have experienced cold sores before, be sure to begin your anti-viral medication 2 days prior to the procedure.
- Do not work out 48 hours before the procedure.
- NO alcohol, caffeine or stimulants 48 hours before procedure (Yes, there is caffeine in decaf coffee and tea!).
- Avoid sun and tanning one week prior to the procedure.
- Do not take Aspirin, Niacin, Vitamin E or Advil/ Ibuprofen 48 hours before the procedure.
- Avoid Fish Oil, Primrose Oil, Prenatal Vitamins, Nutritional Shakes (Shakeology, etc), and “Hair, Skin, Nail” supplements for a minimum of 48 hours prior to the procedure.
- Discontinue Retin-A, and Alpha Hydroxy Acid (AHA) at least 6 weeks prior
- Must wait a minimum of 6 months after lip fillers and 6 weeks after touch-up. It is possible to have poor colour retention in lips that have had injections.
- Exfoliate (sugar scrub) and hydrate (Aquaphor or Vaseline) your lips the week leading up to your appointment.
- Drink plenty of fluids the week prior to your procedure.
- If you have received lip implants, it is important to wait for a minimum of six months before & After scheduling a lip tattoo procedure and obtain written medical clearance from your surgeon.
* Please Note: You will be more sensitive during your menstrual cycle.
POST-CARE LIP BLUSH
*Lips may feel dry, chapped, tight, and tender to the touch immediately after the procedure.
- To avoid an outbreak, finish your antiviral medication if necessary.
- Apply the balm to your lips several times per day. This should be done at least 7 days after the procedure. Do not let your lips become dry. This could interfere with the healed colour. Apply a light layer of ointment to dry lips during the day. Make sure to dab/ press it onto your skin rather than rubbing it in.
- Itching is normal; however, DO NOT PICK!
- Lips should be free of soaps, cleansing creams, and chemicals. For 7 days, wash your face gently, avoiding the lip area.
- For 7 days, avoid moisturising your lips with hot soups and coffee.
- Drink everything through a straw until your lips peel completely.
- DO NOT STRETCH THE LIPS. Avoid biting into large sandwiches, for example. Food should be cut into small bites.
- Instead of biting into greasy, oily, salty, or spicy foods, cut them up and place them in your mouth.
- While eating, avoid wiping your lips with a napkin or licking your lips, as this will impede the healing process. PICKING dry healing tissue WILL REMOVE THE PIGMENT COLOR!
- During the first 7 days, avoid using water on the newly pigmented areas as much as possible. (When showering, washing your face, and so on, apply balm to the pigmented area to protect your lips from water.) When showering, do not stand in front of the showerhead.
- To avoid bacterial infection, avoid underwater swimming and batching for at least 4 weeks.
- Seal your lips with balm before brushing your teeth. Place cotton balls in the gum areas to prevent the toothbrush from rubbing against the lips. There is no whitening toothpaste (during the healing process). Apply only a small amount of toothpaste. Bring a straw to the bathroom to get water to swish with. While your lips are healing, do not bleach or whiten your teeth (about 2 weeks).
- For the first 48 hours, you may apply an ice pack (which must be protected with a wet barrier film of paper towelling, towel, or cloth). If desired, apply ice every hour or so. Do not place ice directly on the area.
- For the next four weeks, avoid direct sunlight and tanning beds. Because this is new skin, it will burn easily, and excessive sun exposure may cause scarring and change the pigment colour.
- After 10 days, you may wear lipstick, lip gloss, and chapstick; however, the tube of lip product MUST BE NEW.
- Sleeping slightly elevated will aid in the prevention of swelling. It is best to sleep on your back with a satin pillowcase. If your pillowcase is not satin, you can wrap it at night and replace it with a fresh wrap in the morning. This prevents pigment from adhering to the pillowcase while sleeping.
- No smoking is permitted while the lips heal (10 days minimum).
- Kissing, rubbing, or friction on newly tattooed lips should be avoided for 10 days or you may lose pigment.
- Depending on the body’s reaction, lips may be dry for 3 to 6 months.
- Expect moderate swelling one to three days after the procedure. Lips that have been scabbed may feel thick. After the first five days, lips will fade by up to 50%. The tattoo will appear patchy as it heals. This is because the skin regenerates and heals. Some New Clients may need multiple sessions (at an additional cost) to achieve the density and shape they desire.
- The above lip Pre- and Post- Care will influence how quickly or slowly you heal. Mature age, poor diet, stress, smoking, excessive alcohol consumption, age, general health, and sleep/ fatigue are all factors to consider. The more tired you are, the weaker your immune system becomes, and infection becomes more likely. Please get plenty of rest and drink plenty of water before the procedure to stay hydrated.
***We have a ZERO TOLERANCE POLICY for those who fail to follow our Pre- and Post-Care Instructions. Failing to follow the above instructions will result in your artist denying your service and possible future services. There are no implied or written guarantees, especially if you do not follow instructions!